Thursday, April 29, 2010

Incompleteness in Absence

"Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists. . . . When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence".
Edmond de Goncourt (1822-96) and Jules de Goncourt (1830-70), French writers.
The Goncourt Journals (1888-96; repr. in Pages from the Goncourt Journal, ed. by Robert Baldick, 1962), entry for 15 Nov. 1859.


I believe this statement to be true. But my view of what love is seems to evolve every year. Next year, when I am in a different place, will I still believe this statement? Or will I scoff at me of today for thinking that love completes a person? I hope I am not jaded and hard hearted, but I have been there before and life has taught me to never say never. I must be on guard with myself to keep my attitude turned towards the positive.


I am definitely not writing on here as much as I thought I would...or feel that I should. Internet is up at home. I am loving sitting in front of my Mac again. Oh, how I had missed it...but apparently not enough to do anything about it for a couple years. By the time I settle down for the evening I just want to read a chapter or two from a book and go to bed. I do not desire to compose blog posts or make rational thoughts any longer. I want to do that while I am at work, where I do not get paid to compose blog posts...or really even to think...but I have made a rule that I can not do that.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for visiting my blog and posting those links. I'm adding them to my post. Very cool to know more about the building now. Thanks again.

    http://sarahjclark.blogspot.com/2010/05/places-not-to-go-with-your-mom.html

    ReplyDelete